Amish furniture first gained attention in the 1920s, when early American folk art was “discovered”, and dealers and historians placed great value upon the beauty and quality of the pieces. Today it is still held in high regard due to its quality and the attention to detail paid by the craftsmen.
In a survey of more than 2,000 customers, more than 70 percent of respondents agreed that, “The design of my furniture reflects my personal statement. A lot can be said about a person from the furniture they own.”
With its uniqueness, Amish furniture gives people a chance to show off their personality. Buying new furniture is a big investment and picking pieces that will last a long time is important. In a survey of 2,000 customers, 95.1 percent said they ‘expect furniture to last for many years and more than 90 percent of responders said they plan to keep wood furniture for at least 15 years.
If you’re in the market for some Amish furniture, here are some things to keep in mind and consider:
- 100 percent of Amish furniture is hand-crafted.
- Most Amish furniture is made from one of five types of wood: oak, cherry, maple, walnut and hickory. This gives you option when trying to choose the best one to fit the décor of your home or office.
- Make sure you know what you want. There are two types of Amish furniture: mission, which is plainer and shaker, which is the fancier option with carvings and designs being part of a piece’s structure.
- It usually takes about eight weeks to build new or custom Amish furniture.
- It’s hand assembled, saving you the frustration of trying to put together a piece yourself.
- It’s easy to maintain, often requiring an occasional dusting or polish.
- Amish furniture is comparable in price to mass-produced furniture and sometimes costs even a little bit less, despite being higher quality.
- Buying Amish furniture helps the Amish. The Amish are proud of their culture and traditions and buying furniture helps reaffirm their commitment to their work and culture.
- If you’re ordering Amish furniture online, expect to wait 12-16 weeks for your order. Ordering online also gives you a chance to be involved in the building process, selecting your wood, size, hardware and other features.
The same uniqueness can be found other Amish construction such as Amish built discount sheds, Amish built barns and Amish built gazebos. Amish shed designs and designs for other Amish buildings are focused on economical storage and are handcrafted. Many Amish discount sheds also offer the chance for your yard to have a unique touch with a pleasing aesthetic.
When purchasing a shed, it is important to determine your space needs and add about 25 percent for future storage needs. Amish shed designs focus on giving a user plenty of storage and the Amish discount sheds also focus on durability. A wooden shed should last at least 15-20 years and Amish sheds offer that strength and durability.
With a unique look and durability, adding hand-crafted Amish furniture or adding a piece of Amish construction to your backyard can give your home a look or personality that suits you. Depending on your needs, a 10-by-10 mini barn can be purchased for around $2,700. Discount sheds are just that, offered at a discount and a custom model usually requires a lead time of 3-6 weeks.
Are you interested in buying Amish furniture? Amish Direct Furniture and Country Side Amish Furniture can help you get started.