Many people throughout the United States are not happy with their home decor. It has been estimated that only 20% of people in the country say they like what they have currently in their home. At the same time, it is important to remember that a good portion of the American population lives in counties that are along the shoreline. As of 2010, there were 123 million people living in these counties. That is a full 39% of all of the people in the country. This speaks to how much people love the ocean. If you are unhappy with your home decor, you may want to consider bringing some pirate decor into your home.
- Look at your color palette. One great way to bring the sea to your home is to use the right colors. That should be your starting off point when you are looking to bring a nautical theme decor into your house. When people think of a nautical decor, the naturally think of bringing blues and greens into the picture. While those colors are appropriate for most home decors that feature a theme of the ocean, there are other colors that you may want to bring into your plans. For example, a pirate decor scheme may have some other colors and elements that can be really fun. Putting certain items that would be found on a ship or incorporating wood into the background of your home can simulate the look of a ship. At the same time, beige can be an important color if you are looking to bring the beach into your home. There is a lot more diversity in nautical themes than you may think so do some research before you run out and buy nothing but blue and green paint.
- Bring your floors, walls and ceilings into your nautical themed home. There are a lot of great wood flooring options, or even bamboo (it looks a lot like hardwood) that can tie your nautical theme together. Wood floors are the standard for many boats and ships. They are also great to mimic the look of a cabana on a beach or an oceanfront house. These should not be made from darker woods but of lighter planks that look a little more rustic. Many people add exposed wooden beams to their ceilings to look like what you might find on a ship. Using dark wood panels along your walls will make excellent pirate decor material.
- Look at your furniture options. For your upholstered pieces, you should look for nautical themed fabrics, materials and patterns. This does not mean they have to have ships, sea creatures or life preservers on them. They can be made from materials that you would find on a ship or sail boat such as sailcloth. If you are going for a beach look, blues, beiges and greens will work. A splash of red will work every here or there. If pirate decor is your thing, add some velvet in the room (maybe a throw pillow or two). By the same token, leather works well for the furniture. Wood needs to be a prominent feature in the furniture you select. You can get lighter pieces if you are going for a beach look but darker colors work well if you want your living room to feel like an old school sailing vessel.
- Get the right linens for your home. Once you have the furniture and the ceilings and walls taken care of, you can look to your linen options. If you are putting together a home that resembles a yacht, you should look to linens that have a lot of the color blue. Beach homes should have more whites and breezy blues. Look at the texture of the linens you select in addition to the color and the pattern.
- Have fun with you accessories. Putting a nautical wheel or a nautical clock adds fun to any home decor.< Pictures and other images of the ocean look great. Just have fun picking out your nautical and pirate decor themed accessories./li>
People love the sea. It can be a great inspiration for your home.