You felt like the world shifted the day that you found out that you needed to start using a cane. It was only supposed to be temporary, but you had to admit that you enjoyed the stability that you felt when you were walking with the umbrella cane. You have used it at home, at the office, and when you were shopping. Once you realized that you could confidently go on more adventures, more trips, however, you realized that the cane was a shift. A shift for the better.
From heavy duty wooden canes to fancy walking canes, there are a number of products on the line that can help you more comfortably and more confidently live your life. The latest statistics indicate that as many as 6.8 million Americans use assistive devices like canes to aid their mobility, so you are not alone if you find that you need to use a cane.
Finding the Right Walking Cane Can Help You Live a Happier and Healthier Life
With the use of an umbrella cane or any number of other walking device you can navigate through nearly any part of your life. Even when the initial transition can seem very challenging, once you find the kind of mobility device that works for you life will offer a larger number of opportunities. Consider these facts and figures about the various kinds of mobility devices that can help you create the life you want to live:
- 50% of all falls among older adults take place at home.
- Over two million senior citizens every year visit the emergency room for injuries caused by a fall.
- Two of the most common causes of falls in the elderly are dizziness when standing up or walking or unsteadiness.
- 40% of Americans aged 85 and over use mobility devices.
- 22.3% of cane users cite osteoarthritis as the main cause of their limited mobility.
- 6.8 million Americans use assistive devices like canes to aid their mobility.
Finding the right way to continue living the active life that you are used to might mean that at some point you will need to use a cane, but that does not have to serve a complete shift in the world that you enjoy.